Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Unhappily ever after—business lessons learned from our daily lives

I have never hired a MBA other than having my wife run a regional subsidiary for a short period of time before the birth of our first child. Sure, I have had MBA students as interns, but never quite got the chance to ask exactly how they are trained to handle daily business aside from theories and models. I would want to learn my craft as a business manager in addition to being a scientist, perhaps one of the most rewarding aspects of running a research company than an academic lab—you get to do everything you find most intriguing.

In addition to the sell side, our company is of course also a customer to other companies, so are ourselves in our non-corporate lives. If you pay attention, observe how other companies market their products and services to you, deal with your problems and complaints, and the way to stand by a company’s policies and principles, you can learn so much.

I have blogged here last year how CapitalOne, among a number of other banks, disappointed me when I was working to improve our situations with business credit accounts. A month or two later I noticed that our rate with CapitalOne was cut by more than 2/3, and they didn’t even mention it. I still do not know how that happened, but now our CapitalOne Visa card is the most used, and with our current business expansion, I would think that they are duly rewarded for their effort to recognize the value of our accounts and to help me out as much as they can. At the end of 2009 I tweeted about how ATT allowed an unbelievably bad third party service provider to piggyback and cheat on our monthly bills from ATT, which was corrected on the first phone call. Even though that should not have happened in the first place, but the way it was swiftly dealt with at the first level of customer service still shows that ATT is a giant well organized.

More recently I had a discussion with Bank of America over monthly fees
for my personal account with them for 20 years, since the first day I came to this country. I still remembered opening my very first bank account with an advance of my first paycheck of $800 from USC at the BOA branch across the street from the campus. In the back-and-forth emails with BOA since late December, a different person responded to me every single time. After I asked for a manager level person to make a decision on either waiving the fee or switching my old account number to a new free checking account (yes, I did mention 20 years’ using that account as sentimental as well as very practical reasons for the request), the same message of how they appreciate my business but I have to abandon my old account, open a new one, transfer all AP, AR, payroll and such, and get free checking. No managers. They used the word ‘courtesy’ twice as showing how they did me a favor by not charging a monthly fee for the first month when they decided it was time to do so, and when they threw me back 2 more months worth of fees, almost like a bone. The worst part was perhaps the inconsistency, since every time it was a new person, she/he did not either understand the whole story or flat-out ignored a previous person’s promise to switch account number.

I was saying to myself, you know I was a 20 year customer as loyal as one can be, a BOA stock holder through good and extremely bad times like right now, a good referral who got at least 10 friends to use BOA, and, as I told them, my wife has mortgage and retirement accounts with them, and most annoying of all, I am a taxpayer who helped bail these bastards out after they screwed up! All I was asking is to get the free checking as they are offering to everybody who knows how to sign up online (so not that it is such a privilege!) and keep my old account number, is that too much to ask?

Settling down, I thought about how I would want my employees to handle such a situation. 1) Technically, I want my online system to be at least flexible enough for a simple account type switch to save all the work hours the representatives have to spend reading, re-reading customer emails, not to mention the completely unnecessary inconvenience to the customer; 2) have management personnel intervene after the 3rd customer email because, obviously, the problem is taking too long to resolve and there is a risk of losing a good customer (unless they believed that I was a bad customer, but I don’t see why); 3) never talk to a customer like you are doing him or her a favor, need to particularly remind ourselves every time we get a unpleasant customer response, always remember who is paying; 4) use one person as a point of contact of every string of discussions, like many businesses already do.

If a service provider gives such slow pain to a customer once, he or she will be feeling and talking about the business unhappily ever after. BTW, I am finally opening personal accounts at Wells Fargo, who courted me since we opened our business accounts there with forever free checking and other goodies. I didn’t take their offer previously because, as I have said, I was a loyal customer to BOA, always remembering my first day in that BOA branch across the campus...but no more.

8 comments:

  1. Just opened personal checking/saving accounts, with everything for free, except incoming wiring, which is still cheaper than BOA. Should have done this earlier to save myself many hours. Also, Wells stocks made money for me through the economy downturn. BOA lost me a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now it is over, hopefully. Have instructed Bank of America customer service to close all my accounts (as old as more than 20 years) immediately, and stop all contacts with me except for matters related the process of account closures. I really wanted to show all BOA customer reps' long emails regarding this simple matter started with a $20/month, but the emails would still be somewhat privileged, maybe. Also wanted to add "good job" to the end of my close accounts request, but na...it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOA responded to my closure request, by asking me to re-request once the balance in my accounts are zero. Hello, I just requested to close my accounts and explained tath the balance will become zero in a day or two. Is it so important that a request be sent to you only after the balances are already zero? Isn’t that the same thing “you need to open a new account online to get free checking…your current account with 20 year history is never going to be free unless you keep …$balance” that caused the loss me as a loyal customer, a investor, and advocator? Why is formality so predominating everything going on in your banking business? You really think you are part of the government or something, after getting dozens of billions of bailout dollars, and still losing billions?

    “If you could go ahead and get those FTP reports, that would be terrific…m’K?” Says Bill Lundberg from Office Space, you know the Mike Judge movie on corporate life. It is funny whenever Bill said it, a few times throughout the movie, but imagine that he was still saying it after the office was burnt down in the end. Now that, although not in the movie, would be just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BofA spends $4.4B on its Wall Street bankers

    http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/03/news/companies/bank_of_america_compensation/index.htm?hpt=T2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just received this email "Bank of America Your Online Banking is Blocked

    We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Bank of America account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features."

    What da... I have requested the closure of my accounts, hello? anybody home? CEO whoever-is-after-Ken, take a look at how things are going in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strike the last comment. It was Phishsing from site unrelated to BofA. All accounts are supposed to be closed now, bye, the last about BofA, but certainly not the last about banking behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't like it when bank reps or "officers" write over succinct emails, like showing how busy they are. Note to own employees: don't pretend that you are busier than your customer, don't make your customers feel stupid because he can't understand what the heck you are saying, and don't even hint that you are powerful because you are deciding the customer's price or credit worthiness or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 7 more banks went belly up today. I would be pretty humble and even shamed in general if I were running a banking business, obviously the industry has not been doing well. Yet, the last couple of weeks' dealing with Union bank, formerly UBOC on a line renewal took my last bit of sympathy away from the banks, they still behave like a government, not a business.
    At least not the "credit center", one guy or two that look at people's "financials" and decide your "credit worthiness". They talk to you in really short sentences with "terms" like you should know what the heck they were talking about, and they pass out judgment like they can tell who is worth their credit. You know what, they are so clueless that they aren't worth a dime in my business.

    Bye bye UB, get lost.

    ReplyDelete